Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Alphabet Progress

I found a youtube video that I'm practicing with. It's not a fun singalong, quite the opposite - it's a bland, monotone repetition, but I suppose it'll get the job done. It shows the letter on the screen, pronounces it out loud, then repeats it and moves to the next one. Basic. I've been sitting in my room repeating after it out loud, and I'm sure the people outside my door are thinking "Why does she keep saying 'ee kratkoyeh' in there?" No matter, I'm already jazzed at how much I've learned! I've got the first three letters memorized, which I consider pretty good for 10 minutes into the language process.

Here's my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZceOLBFR0_Y. I'm finding that I pick it up more quickly with the help of this site, http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/track/7635/alphabet.html, because it gives a visual pronunciation guide to complement the auditory focus of the video.

In a few moments I'm going to start copying the letters into a notebook to get the written feel. As I'm quickly finding out in my initial research, most Russians abstain from block letters and use exclusively cursive. It'll no doubt be tricky to learn the alphabet both in cursive and in standardized block form, but it's already tricky because some of the letters are not even remotely close to English ones! I'm up for the challenge, I think.

Still inordinately excited about this entire undertaking.

1 comment: